A downloadable game for Windows
A non-official fangame featuring Vinesauce Joel's mascot, VargFren!
Dracula's back from the dead again, and only Fren can stop him! Is he the right hero for the job? Maybe not, but at least he's enjoying it!
- Whip, fly and inhale your way through 6 exciting, hard-as-nails worlds!
- Every enemy is a powerup - spit enemies back out at each other for devastating combo attacks, or steal their powers to turn the tables!
- Precision platforming isn't an issue when you can fly! ...but anti-air enemies might be a problem.
- Memes and injokes have been kept to a minimum! The game can be enjoyed even if you have no idea who any of these characters are!
- Super difficult, NES-era platforming that really tests your skills! Unlike a lot of contemporary games, you've got infinite continues, and there's also an easy mode if you just can't handle the pressure.
This thing is like 10 years old at this point so there might be bugs! UwU
How to Play
- Z: Jump
- X: Whip attack / spit out inhaled enemy
- C: Use special skill (inhales enemies if you don't have a special skill)
- Special skills use energy, keep an eye on the energy meter!
- Arrow keys: move
- Down arrow: swallow an inhaled enemy, absorbs its special skill
- Up arrow: fly
- 100 Fren Points (the F symbols) give you an extra life. You also get one every 50,000 score points.
- Collecting Fren Points and whipping enemies refill energy used for special skills.
- You can inhale food and other powerups, not just enemies!
- Spitting out an inhaled enemy does a lot of damage!
- The whip is slow, but it can hit behind, above and below you!
- The easy mode exists for a reason :)
1) Unzip the compressed folder.
2) Run the "frenvania_v1.1.0.exe" executable.
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Even in this form, still one of the most competent completed Kirby fangames ever made. That said, I do have my gripes, though pretty much all of them can easily be chalked up it being such an old game.
Ended up getting a bit too tedious and frustrating for me even with max lives on easy mode, so I gave up after the second time I was forced to restart a level I just spent ages getting through (first because the darkness effect was making the game unplayable and you can't change settings mid-game, second 'cus I got stuck in a wall)
Nice for a trip down memory lane though at least, I remember playing the original version years ago back in the YYG sandbox days
Everyone is fear...
What if, one no fear???
Superb Game, Good Graphics, Cool Music.
ayyy this is amazing
Any plans for controller support?
Not really... the codebase is really old and uses hardcoded keyboard events in every game object, it'd be a gargantuan and error-prone task to replace them with something more flexible. Please use a third-party gamepad-to-keyboard-event application like Antimicro or Joy2Key instead.
sorry to bother you but for some reason the second level won't load right because all I get is a black screen I can still control fren but I can't see anything.
Did you change any of the TV effect / night effect / screen size options? What's your machine specs? The TV effect messes a bit with the draw pipeline and uses a lot of memory, and if you're low on VRAM it's possible for it to just never be able to draw to the screen at all. Try playing with the TV effect turned off if you think this could be the issue.
Almost like your previous game so many years ago, but actualy i like the redesign and that retro arcade ish look aswell :)
More or less exactly the same, but legally distinct! :3
Dropped Kirby and gone for an original design.... Love it